Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fiesta Island: Leash-Free In San Diego Again


Fiesta Island, like Dog Beach in O.B., is another place you can take your dogs for them to enjoy being leash-free and frolicking in and out of the water. Fiesta Island is between Tecolote Canyon and Sea World. At one time, Fiesta Island had a tendency to smell pretty bad. This was because formerly it was used to dried out sludge (sewage waste) for all of the city of San Diego. Fortunately, that has been moved.

Over 2 weekends in July, Fiesta Island is the site of the world famous Over-The-Line Tournament--not really my thing with a mix of lecherous old men, over-the-top nasty team names, and a scarce few bikini-clad women (I cannot imagine any woman needs THAT much attention from men like that).

Any other time of the year, Fiesta Island is much less used, although as jet-skiing has become more and more popular, it is the place for launching a jet-ski. I am not into jet skis or powerboats myself, as the noise bothers me (did you know running a jet ski in the ocean in Santa Barbara County is actually illegal). One time, I was snorkeling off of Sunset Cliffs on one of the 3 days or less per year when we have 100 foot diving visibility, and all of a sudden, I heard the obnoxious buzz of jet skis, coming way to close. Those were actually policemen, who ride them from San Diego Bay to Mission Bay on one of those rare days. It sort of ruins your tranquility as you watch a moray eel or octopus and then hear the cacophonous roar of a jet ski.

Fiesta Island is also a great place to launch a sailboat. I used to have several catamarans, and that was the place to go. I do not know if I will ever get another, but I am sure that Wendy, the lab, would enjoy sailing. What don't labs enjoy? Seems labs have something to teach humans.

At any rate, anytime of day or night, any part of the year, you can take your dogs to be off-leash at Fiesta Island. Probably best to avoid the traffic at certain times, like morning rush hour, or "Saturday In the Park" (Sunday is actually worse), when the adjacent park for children at Mission Bay Park is crammed with parents, kids, students, rollerskaters and the like.

But your dogs will never mind the crowds. They will not mind bad weather. They will not mind if it is too cold or too hot. They just want to get out. You know---Dogs Just Wanna Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This photo was taken by my 15 year old..not by his 28 year old half-brother who has a burning interest in photography. My 15 year old did not even want to get out of the car because of the cast on his foot--which had been there since he put his foot through the glass window in his room--completely obliterating his Achilles tendon..and he is not even an athlete.

He was on school vacation with nothing to do and nowhere to go..this was only 1 or 2 days I could get him to do anything!!! and Wendy got over the inside mound at the Island..and ran and ran..we circled the island 3 times looking for her. She appeared exactly where she had left us!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking of bringing my dog there. Thx for this blog post. New to San Diego, just began exploring.

    ReplyDelete